Office furniture and equipment can really start to add up. Depending on the size of your home business it can be one of your biggest costs. Furniture costs are usually a one time fixed cost, but when it comes to office equipment it’s a whole new ball game. For instance, you don’t only need a printer and fax machine, but also reams of paper, ink cartridges (color and black & white), toner and more. In addition, you will need pens, miscellaneous items, and customized letterhead – the list is endless. This is why saving on office furniture and equipment is critical. Here are 5 places to find inexpensive furniture and equipment for your home office.
- Businesses that have closed down. Many businesses have shut their doors in this trying economy – or perhaps they didn’t take your advice and saved on overhead by running operations from home – but lucky for you they have left behind many old desks, chairs and even electronics that you can use for your home office. In some instances these items might be free or they are up for auction. No matter what, though, this is a great way to score affordable furniture and equipment.
- Discount retailers. A lot of major retailers sell their office equipment for a lot cheaper than their completion. This is mainly because they are willing to take a small cut in exchange for more sales. This can work out great for the home business owner, because not only do you get cheap office supplies, but also you won’t have to pay all the taxes and levies that you would have to pay if you purchased these items from a wholesaler.
- Look online. There are many major office furniture and supply e-commerce stores that offer discounts just by signing up. Some of these online stores allow you to create an account or the opportunity to become a member for even more savings, which can be especially important if you regularly need to stock up.
- Garage and yard sales. If you are looking for office furniture, going to a garage or yard sale can be a great way to find extremely affordable deals on things like desks, chairs and even electronics, like fax machines and even printers. It might be tougher to find things like printer ink and fax machine toner, but if you are looking to deck your home office out with some great furniture, going to a garage and yard sale is your best bet. If you don’t want to waste all the time looking for signs in your community, just head to YardSaleSearch.com where you can find all the garage and yard sales in your area on one convenient website.
- Lastly, you could simply ask your friends or family if they have any old equipment they don’t need. If you are on a serious bootstrap budget, this can be a great way to save on office supplies and furniture. Most of the time your friends and family will offer items for free or on extended loan, because all you really need to start is a comfy chair and a sturdy desk.