Home based businesses are at a slight disadvantage, because they aren’t typically in the center of the action. This leaves home business owners having to strive harder and harder to get press coverage for their products and services. In addition, sponsored placement isn’t trusted and isn’t as effective as an organic article with legitimate writerly interest. However, if you have an interesting product or service that stands out from all the rest, you should have no problem drumming up a little coverage at very little cost. Here are 5 ways to get free press coverage for your home based business.
- Start a scene. There is no better way to get attention than by demanding it. Ever hear of a flash mob? If you have an online clothing store or retail e-commerce site you could get a number of people together to start a spur of the moment improv session or dance routine. After a while, people in your community will start to wonder when the next one will pop up and soon enough press will take notice. It will take some time and dedication, but as soon as you find your business on the local evening news you’ll realize that it was all worth it.
- Create an outlandish or ridiculous product and use the power of social networking to market it. If it’s outlandish enough it will start to garner the attention of press outlets who are desperately looking for a quirky story. You don’t actually have to sell this product, but it has to be outrageous and bizarre enough to where people start to get curious. This can also be a great way to get exposure for your brand.
- Charity is another great way to get noticed by press. No good deed goes unnoticed. This couldn’t be truer than with local small businesses that are giving back to the community. If you don’t have the budget, you could start a free tutoring service to underprivileged kids and employ volunteer tutors or you can start feeding the poor in your neighborhood. This won’t only be good for your business, but also for all the disadvantaged people in your city or town.
- Press kits are also another great way to get free press coverage for your home based business. The key to having a successful press kit is to have plenty of images, bios, background text and more. You want to entice an editor of a magazine or newspaper to write about your business. If you are the manager of a musical act, a band press kit might include a free song or two to get them interested and maybe even dancing.
- Lastly, call editors directly and ask if they would be interested in doing a story on your business. It is recommended to come up with a list of about 20 different press outlets and to reach out to all of them. Chances are that you will find at least one or two that would be interested in doing a story on your business. They might even send an interviewer out – what’s better than talking about yourself and your business?