You’ve got it all squared away – your home Internet business is thriving, maybe you have an employee or two and you’ve even been seeing a profit.
All is good.
But wait – do you have health insurance?
Since you work for yourself, you’ve got to figure this out on your own, no corporate package from a big employer here.
Though it may be easy to skip over health insurance, especially if you’re young and healthy, that could be a big mistake.
Check out these 5 reasons it’s vital to have health insurance:
1. A surprise medical emergency can knock you into a lifetime of debt – Anything from an emergency surgery to a broken bone to a short hospital stay will cost you, in the very least, thousands of dollars as well as probably keep you from working for at least a bit. No one predicts accidents or emergencies; this is what health insurance is for.
2. Preventative care keeps you healthier – Those with insurance are more apt to seek preventative care. If you’ve got a cough, you can go get it checked out for a small copay before it turns into something more serious that may keep you out of work or sick longer. Preventative care adds to your productivity in a roundabout way.
3. Prescription drugs are very expensive without insurance – Though your insurance plan may not cover every prescription drug, there usually is a generic or other form that may be covered under your plan. With medical insurance, you can receive huge discounts on prescription drugs that can make them affordable to you. Without insurance, you may find it tough to afford the drugs and have a tougher time with your health in the long run.
4. Mental health coverage and forms of alternative health care coverage might be covered – For some conditions, health insurance will cover mental health care and forms of alternative treatment, like acupuncture, chiropractic care and physical therapy. It may not cover sessions completely, but can make it somewhat more affordable.
5. You can have your family covered – Especially if you have dependents, you need health coverage. Kids need to be insured and you don’t want to risk their health. You will also receive maternity and prenatal care through your health insurance.
Medical costs can add up to huge numbers, and though healthcare costs themselves may seem like quite an expense, you and your family will end up needing some healthcare from time to time, and insurance can help you out.
Hopefully, you will never need to reap the big benefits, but it’s nice to know there is a cushion there in case you need it.
Healthcare is money well spent.
Photo credit: Image courtesy of phasinphoto / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
About the Author: Heather Legg is a writer who covers topics relating to small business ownership and social media.